Is there anything better than reaching 3pm and knowing you have a delicious and guilt-free afternoon delight waiting for you? 'No', right?! So on that note, here's a double chocolate banana bread that tastes just as good as chocolate cake.
This soft and moist banana bread will satisfy ALL your chocolate cake cravings while keeping it much healthier! Made with tigernut flour, raw cacao powder and dairy-free chocolate chips, it’s Paleo, nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and packed with lots of healthy fiber. Plus, I’ve always been a big fan of all-things chocolate and banana. So, this double chocolate banana bread is definitely the answer to my afternoon cravings.
The way I see it is, you have two options… You can use overripe bananas in a smoothie or you turn them into delicious banana bread. I definitely prefer option two as I’m constantly rummaging through the house for a healthy snack. Once it’s past 3pm it’s always good to have fiber-rich treats packed with healthy fats on hand. I literally have zero regrets when I nibble on a slice of this chocolate banana bread.
Get Your FREE Healthy Treats eBook
Enter your email below and grab my free healthy treats eBook, designed to help you create healthy & nourishing desserts, get rid of nasties in your diet – and never have to hunt for cooking inspo again. (Or ask your mum for advice.)
This recipe is a variation of my all-time-favourite Paleo almond flour banana bread. Tigernuts have become increasingly popular in the Paleo community and are a great alternative for anyone who is allergic to nuts. The name tigernut is deceptive because they aren’t actually nuts but small root vegetables from the tuber family. Tigernut flour is a great allergen-free alternative to gluten and nut floursplus it’s packed with prebiotics which can improve insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation in the colon and help treat IBS.
Making banana bread in a healthy way doesn’t make it any less easy to make. Just blend together some bananas, mix in some eggs and few more ingredients, and bake! So grab a bunch of overripe bananas and use them to make this double chocolate banana bread recipe. You’ll be so glad you did!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
This moist, crunchy, and healthy double chocolate banana bread tastes just as good as chocolate cake! The best part, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and Paleo-approved.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
For the bread:
- 2 large bananas (spotty, ripe ones will work better)
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups Tigernut flour (I used Terrafirma)
- 1 tsp aluminium-free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dairy-free choc chips
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup diced Tigernuts (I used TerraFirma)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free choc chips
- Preheat your oven to 175°C and line a rectangular baking dish.
- Put all wet ingredients (bananas, eggs, chocolate chips, coconut oil) in a high-speed food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Add tigernut flour, cacao, baking powder and cinnamon and blend until smooth.
- Pour mix into a lined rectangular baking dish.
- Smooth the surface with a spatula and drizzle with cacao nibs, diced tigernuts and choc chips.
- Bake at 175°C for 30-35 minutes. If you prefer moist banana bread, keep an eye on the heat and don’t over-bake it.
- Let cool completely before you remove it from the baking dish.
Note: You can bake this in a rectangular baking dish to create one big loaf or use a silicon mould that creates 6 smaller, individual cakes like me.