Hot Cross Bun Donuts with Cashew Orange Glaze
Get into the Easter spirit with these these cinnamon spiced hot cross bun donuts with a decadent cashew orange chocolate glaze. Best part, they are gluten-free and Paleo too.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 13 donuts
For the hot cross bun donuts:
- 3 cups blanched almond meal
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 t bicarb soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 T organic maple syrup
- Zest of 1 organic orange
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 free range organic eggs
- 1.5 t cinnamon,
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/3 cup raisins
For the cashew orange glaze:
- 1 cup soaked and drained cashews
- 2 T organic coconut oil
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- ½ t vanilla
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/3 cup dark choc chips, melted (optional for marble effect)
- Preheat oven to 160°C and grease a silicone donut mould with coconut oil.
- For the donuts, mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Once well combined add the wet ingredients and the raisins, mixing until a sticky dough forms.
- Scoop even portions of mixture into a silicone mould and smooth them with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool while you make the glaze.
- For the glaze, add all ingredients (except the choc chips) to a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two bowls.
- Melt the choc chips over a double boiler and add the melted chocolate to one of the bowls with the cashew glaze. Stir until well combined.
- Now add the choc cashew glaze to the plain cashew glaze without stirring them through.
- Slowly dip each donut into the glaze and twist it 180° to create the ‘marble’ effect.
- Place donuts in fridge for the glaze to set.
- Happy Easter!