Santa Clause is coming to town and I wanted to surprise him with a treat that I've recently discovered on Pinterest. My version of the iconic pastry Christmas tree is filled with a healthy 4-ingredient raspberry chia jam instead of sugar-laden Nutella. The jam comes together really quickly and doesn't need copious amounts of sugar or gelatin—which makes it diabetes- and vegan-friendly and much healthier than store-bought jams.
As elaborated as this pastry tree looks it's really not difficult to make. Even if you are not an experienced baker you'll be able to whip it up and make it look cute. This video tutorial will teach you how to make it. I suggest getting gluten-free or vegan puff pastry sheets—whichever you prefer.
This pastry Christmas tree is perfect for holiday parties and family festivities. You could fill it with whatever jam flavour you like. I chose raspberry but cherry or apricots would be quite nice too. You could also fill it with cheese and chives for a savoury variation. The best part is, everyone will want to gather around it and share the goodness. [thrive_leads id='1525']
The raspberry chia jam is sandwiched between two layers of gluten-free puff pasty, which is sliced into strips and then twisted to form tree branches. I decorated mine with little puff pastry stars that I cut out using a cookie cutter and attached to the tree with vegan 'egg wash'. I used an almond milk/maple mixture that mimics the effects of a regular egg wash.
If you love Christmas treats, you'll also like my Christmassy Healthy Fudge Pinecones.
Gluten-Free Pastry Christmas Tree with Raspberry Chia Jam
Invite the Christmas spirit into your kitchen with this Gluten-Free Pastry Christmas Tree that everyone will love.
- Author: Zoe
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 48 mins
- Yield: 1 pastry tree 1x
**Pastry Christmas Tree
- 2 sheets gluten-free puff pastry (vegan option is also possible)
- 3 Tbsp chia jam
- 2 Tbsp egg wash
Raspberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup, lightly brushed onto the tops of a pie or scones
For the chia jam:
- Add raspberries, vanilla and maple syrup to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until raspberries break down and become syrupy (5 to 10 minutes).
- Mash the fruit with a fork, leaving it as smooth or as lumpy as you like.
- Add chia seeds, stir thoroughly and remove saucepan from stove.
- Pour mixture into jam jar and place in the fridge to set.
- Once the chia jam has set, mix again to ensure all the berries and chia seeds are evenly distributed.
For the pastry Christmas tree:
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Roll out two puff pastry sheets.
- Move one to a lined baking sheet.
- Score a tree shape and spread 3 Tbsp of raspberry jam inside the tree triangle.
- Spread it out evenly and place second pastry sheet on top.
- Cut along sides of the tree and remove trimmings.
- Cut branches on both sides and start twisting them one by one.
- Cut star out of the trimmings and add to the top.
- For the egg wash, combine almond milk and maple syrup.
- Lightly brush the egg wash onto the top of the pastry tree.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes at 180°C or until golden.
Did you make this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us — we can't wait to see what you've made!