This Strawberry Rhubarb Galette is made with sweet strawberries, tart rhubarb and dairy free cashew cream, all wrapped into a nutty almond flour crust that you would never guess is gluten-free and Paleo friendly (with Vegan option too).
For the dough:
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 6 Tbsp cold grass-fed butter cubed (or vegan butter)*
- 1 egg, cold (or vegan egg)*
- Pinch of sea salt
For the fruit filling:
- 2 cup strawberries (hulled & halved)
- 1 cup rhubarb (cut into ½ inch batons)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp maple or honey
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot flour**
- 1/2- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon
For the cashew cream:
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soaked in filtered water overnight)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (from a can)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp maple or honey
Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, salt and butter in a food processor and process until the texture of coarse meal.
Add 1 egg and process again until dough comes together.
Once combined, wrap the dough into cling wrap and refrigerate and chill for 60 minutes before rolling.
- For the cashew cream, place all ingredients in a blender and process until creamy and smooth. There should be no cashew chunks left. Set aside.
- For the filling, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon zest, maple syrup, and arrowroot flour in a bowl. Toss with your hands to combine. Set aside.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper dusted with arrowroot flour. Roll it into a circle about 20-25cm wide and 0.5 cm thick. It needs to be thick enough to be able to hold the filling.
- Move the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread 4-5 tablespoons of cashew cream onto the middle. Leave 3-4 cm room to fold up the sides.
- Then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of almond meal on top of the cashew cream.
- Arrange the strawberry rhubarb mixture in the middle of the dough leaving 3-4 cm around the edge empty.
- Gently fold the sides up, pressing the dough together with your fingers as you go. You can use the parchment to help fold up the dough so it won’t break.
- Place the galette back into the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.
- preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Bake at 180°C (356°F) for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- When ready to serve, transfer the galette to a serving plate, and top with leftover cashew cream or coconut ice cream. Enjoy!
* Tip: It is important that these ingredients are cold, don’t let them sit on the bench before using them. For best results, grab them straight from the fridge.
**Note: Arrowroot is interchangeable with tapioca flour or cornstarch.