This Strawberry Rhubarb Galette is made with sweet strawberries, tart rhubarb and dairy free cashew cream, all wrapped into a nutty almond flour crust that you would never guess is gluten-free, and Paleo.
If you’re a strawberry fan, you need to try this strawberry rhubarb galette ASAP! Berry season is hands down one of my favourite times of the year. I used to go berry picking in my mum’s garden as a child and still get really excited when berries are in season. Instead of my mum’s garden, I now go to Queensland Strawberries Farms to pick fresh berries straight from the farm.
Strawberries are one of my favourite berries because they are so versatile and really fun to cook and bake with. For this rhubarb strawberry galette, I combined them with tart rhubarb (also a season favourite) and sweet cashew cream.
Get Your FREE Healthy Treats eBook
Enter your email below and grab my free healthy treats eBook, designed to help you create healthy & nourishing desserts, get rid of nasties in your diet – and never have to hunt for cooking inspo again. (Or ask your mum for advice.)
The best part, galettes are the simplest of all tarts. They don’t have to be symmetrical or super pretty. You simply roll out the dough into a semi-round shape, add your favorite fruit filling, and fold over the edges. That’s it, as if that’s not reason enough to break out the strawberries and get baking.
I like rolling my dough between two sheets of parchment paper for easier handling (no sticking to your hands, kitchen bench or rolling pin). Another tip is to try and keep the dough and equipment as cool as possible to keep the dough from sticking to everything. I chill my dough for 30 minutes before I roll it out and again before I put the galette into the oven.
I love this classic sweet tart combination of rhubarb and strawberry. The sweet cashew cream keeps it deliciously dairy-free and Paleo friendly. It’s best served still warm from the oven with a generous scoop of coconut ice cream, whipped coconut cream or leftover cashew cream.
If you’d like to find out more about the strawberries I used in this recipe, please visit Queensland Strawberries.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Galette (Gluten Free + Paleo)
This Strawberry Rhubarb Galette is made with sweet strawberries, tart rhubarb and dairy free cashew cream, all wrapped into a nutty almond flour crust that you would never guess is gluten-free and Paleo friendly (with Vegan option too).
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the dough:
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 6 Tbsp cold grass-fed butter cubed (or vegan butter)*
- 1 egg, cold (or vegan egg)*
- Pinch of sea salt
For the fruit filling:
- 2 cup strawberries (hulled & halved)
- 1 cup rhubarb (cut into ½ inch batons)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp maple or honey
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot flour**
- 1/2- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon
For the cashew cream:
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soaked in filtered water overnight)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (from a can)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp maple or honey
Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, salt and butter in a food processor and process until the texture of coarse meal.
Add 1 egg and process again until dough comes together.
Once combined, wrap the dough into cling wrap and refrigerate and chill for 60 minutes before rolling.
- For the cashew cream, place all ingredients in a blender and process until creamy and smooth. There should be no cashew chunks left. Set aside.
- For the filling, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon zest, maple syrup, and arrowroot flour in a bowl. Toss with your hands to combine. Set aside.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper dusted with arrowroot flour. Roll it into a circle about 20-25cm wide and 0.5 cm thick. It needs to be thick enough to be able to hold the filling.
- Move the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread 4-5 tablespoons of cashew cream onto the middle. Leave 3-4 cm room to fold up the sides.
- Then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of almond meal on top of the cashew cream.
- Arrange the strawberry rhubarb mixture in the middle of the dough leaving 3-4 cm around the edge empty.
- Gently fold the sides up, pressing the dough together with your fingers as you go. You can use the parchment to help fold up the dough so it won’t break.
- Place the galette back into the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.
- preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Bake at 180°C (356°F) for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- When ready to serve, transfer the galette to a serving plate, and top with leftover cashew cream or coconut ice cream. Enjoy!
* Tip: It is important that these ingredients are cold, don’t let them sit on the bench before using them. For best results, grab them straight from the fridge.
**Note: Arrowroot is interchangeable with tapioca flour or cornstarch.